Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Lauds and Gripes -- Season 5 Episode 1

Okay, I know I'm posting this late and that is no way to develop any regular traffic but I WILL be better.

If you need a full recap, go here.

5 reasons I loved the season premiere of the L Word

1. The obvious -- it had just been too, too long.

2. The incredible sexual tension between Bette and Tina -- when are these two girls going to get it on? Even they know it's inevitable. Here's Bette scoping out Tina who has just removed her bikini top



-- who knew Tina's back could cause such a stir (I must admit, though, she does look good).

Sorry, for copyright symbol -- I'm really bad with the images :-(

3. Mia Kirshner. I love Mia Kirshner even if she is Jenny. Here's my argument for her:

She's gorgeous.
She's Canadian.
She went to McGill in Montreal.
She studied Russian literature.
She's gorgeous.



'nuff said.

4. Subplots that put our favorite characters in jail especially when they are Bette and Helena.



5. It had been way too long. Yeah, I know I already said that but I have some criticisms on this episode.

5 reasons I hated the season premiere of the L Word

1. Inconsistancy of tone. Sometimes I get the feeling that Ilene Chaiken thinks this is her only shot to express every creative idea she's ever had.

2. Every now and again Chaiken feels the need to introduce an element of camp. So, we get Cybill Shepherd's character camping it up while everyone else in the cast is supposed to pretend that she's a real person or, on occasion, they cross over into the camp world with her -- Alice does this best. Jane Lynch's character has long performed a similar role and she is brilliant at it but these scenes are completely out of context and make the audience feel like they are shifting gears as Chaiken jumps around amongst the various genres of television.

3. Too many characters. I'd be hard pressed to say who I would cut -- Max, Cybill, Tasha -- ok, maybe I wouldn't. Take a series like Lost which has a huge cast. It has 24 episodes to develop its characters. The L Word has WAY too much going on for only 12 episodes.

4. Propaganda. This really bothers. As a friend of mine said, she'll be watching and then, BOOM, it's like a public service announcement hijacked the show. For some reason, Chaiken has a thing about preaching to the choir (unless she thinks loads of straight guys are watching that she's going to educate) -- this week we got lectured to about transgenderism. All I have to say is if you have effective writing you never need to go all didactic -- it isn't pretty and it sure ain't art (or even good teevee).

Here's Max thinking about computer searches and delivering the Chaiken Message of the Week:


5. I have a few more gripes but I'll leave it off for now 'cause I'm really, really glad it's back.

No comments: